Cell Block 15 - “Death Row”
Cell block Fifteen opened in April 1959, replacing Cell block Thirteen as the maximum security block. Extending from the end of Cell block Two, Cell block Fifteen had 17 cells on each of its two floors. This block became known as "Death Row" when men with death sentences were placed here between 1959 and 1961; however, there were never any executions at Eastern. In order to minimize contact between inmates and guards, a row of bars was installed in the center of the corridor creating two distinct hallways. When the prison was closed in 1971, these bars, as well as the cell doors, were removed and sold for scrap metal.